Thursday, March 1, 2012

Less then 2 weeks to get a VISA...

After my mom, sister, brother-in-law, and I met with Ewerton and his wife, we knew then it was a done deal. Now I just needed to get everything done in less then two weeks...wait what? less then 2 weeks? OMG!!!!!!... ok so I do not get stressed that easily.. I am actually pretty laid back and a very optimistic person.. but holy freaking cow has this week been full of stress and a rollercoaster of emotions...
My BIGGEST concern was my flights and getting my VISA, which go hand in hand. Well, my eager sister and I, were so excited, we booked a one-way ticket that Sunday night! I was ready to go! Then, I went to the consulate website and read all the steps I needed to take in order to request a VISA. To get your VISA, you have to have a round trip ticket. Well crap...... this was the first time I almost lost it but fought back the tears... im so tough. haha :)

First of all, to request a VISA, you may do so Monday through Friday between 9:00- 11:00 AM ONLY. Once it is processed, you may pick up your VISA Monday through Friday ONLY 12:00-1:00 PM!
So, I quit my job right away. I felt horrible and wanted to work this past week but there was no way. I had to get this done in order for me to go, I would be too stressed, and I need my phone on me 24/7 to make sure I do not miss any important calls.

Next, I needed to fill out the application protocol online, print, sign it, and bring it in with the other documents (passport, picture, ID, money order, etc.). Well, this online application asked where I worked, what address I was staying at, and all that fun stuff. I had no idea what to put and was freaking out. I had to have this information because you can only fill it out online, needed to print it, and sign it to bring in. Thank goodness Ewerton has been patient with me because I think I text him or call him 15 times a day!

Tuesday night I still did not have the address, but my sister Donna and I decided we were going go no matter what Wednesday morning because the request takes at least 3 BUSINESS DAYS. That means we were going on Wednesday, Thurs., Fri., and Mon., then I could pick it up Monday or Tuesday... yeah well I leave Wednesday... can you tell why I am going crazy over here??????

Wednesday morning rolls around and I still do not have the address so once again I bother Ewerton to see if by chance he was able to receive it. GOOD NEWS: HE CALLED 5 MINUTES LATER AND HAD IT! PHEWWWWWW! I quickly typed in all the information needed for that application and clicked send. They said to write down the code number and to print so that is what I did. UHHHH... WHY ISN'T IT PRINTING????? Then I get click happy or crazy for this matter and I refresh and retype EVERYTHING! At least 30 minutes go by to try and print. My three-year-old niece and one-year-old nephew were with us and getting into everything (even broke my stepdads eye glasses--oops!) while my sister Donna and I are trying to figure this paperwork out. Finally we decided we would just go there and hopefully they would help us.

We made a quick stop at the post office to get a money order since of course that is all the consulate accepts for payment. I get that and downtown we go. Traffic wasn't HORRIBLE but it still took sometime for us to get to the city. We get there around 10:15 and we did not know EXACTLY where we were going so we parked at the first self park we saw and started walking. We did not know how far we were from Michigan Ave so we asked a lady on the street. We jumped in a cab and they got us there at about 10:30ish.. so 30 minutes before it closes. We made it! YES! We get up to the suite and there is another man waiting to get his application. First thing he tells us....The system is down. SAY WHHHHHAT? I go up to the lady and she of course tells me what the other guy said and I was totally bummed. She did check to see if I had everything I needed, which I did, minus the application. So we wait, and wait, and wait some more. During this time, the other guy, Tim, was keeping us company. He was a super friendly guy and gave me his card for when I get there since we will be in the same area. Cool man.. I made a new friend. Anyway, while we wait, we would get hopes that the system would get running. It almost did at one point but then would freeze. GRR! The consulate people said that there might be a chance if we wait around in the afternoon that they might just allow us to request the VISA since it was not our fault the system was down. So we wait some more. In the meantime, Ewerton's wife and a friend of theirs shows up at the Consulate because they need to get their VISAs as well. Then Ewerton pops in. Well don't we just have a little party going on. Well luckily for them, they had their applications printed out and were all set for the most part. They came in and left and Donna, the kids, and I continuued to wait. Around noon, the consulate man opens the window and finally says "who doesn't have their application papers but has everything else?" Tim and I immediately jump up! They were going to let us apply.request a VISA and they would take care of the rest! OMG! THANK GOD WE DIDNT LEAVE! PHEW! So the guy looks through all my stuff and says to coem back Monday. Deep breath. I was soooo excited! Now let's all just hope the process goes well and the system is running so it is really done by Monday, which it should be soooo off to Brazil I go! whooop whooop!!!


We then grabbed subway and headed home. The kids fell asleep on the drive back, I took a 2 hour nap once I got home, and Donna, well she stayed up..I do not know how!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was quite the ordeal with your visa application! I wonder, though, if maybe there was a way you could’ve just taken a leave from work for a couple of days instead of having to completely quit it. Ah well, it all worked out for the best, didn’t it? You had a little bit of misfortune, but you’re a great example of how patience always pays off. Congratulations, and have a safe trip!

    Milagros Kilduff